This planter box is simple and fun to build. Featuring simple joinery reinforced with waterproof glue, exterior grade screws and galvanized finish nails, this planter can be built in a few hours and will provide years of attractive use.
The plan can easily be modified to build a bigger box for housing several plants or customized to fit a specific space. Looks great on the deck or in the yard and is the perfect size for growing a single tomato plant or a few small patches of herbs.
You can even bring it indoors during colder months and enjoy fresh-grown herbs or vegetables year round. (Place it on a plastic tray or boot mat to catch any water that may drip down through the weep holes.)
The simplicity of this plan means you can build a set of two, three or more planter boxes in a day or weekend. You can use them as enclosures for potted plants or grow any other type of flower, vegetable, fruit or herb you like.
TIME: 5 Hrs
- (2) 1 x 4 x 12' YellaWood® brand pressure treated pine
- (1) 2 x 4 x 8' YellaWood® brand pressure treated pine (to be cut in half for legs)
- (3) 1 x 8 x 8' YellaWood® brand pressure treated pine
- One lb. 1 ½" exterior-grade wood screws
- Waterproof exterior wood glue
- 1 ½" galvanized finish nails
- A: (4) 1 x 8 x 18"
- B: (4) 1 x 8 x 22 ½"
- C: (4) 1 ½ x 1 ½ x 24"
- D: (2) 1 x 2 x 18"
- E: (3) 1 x 8 x 18" (2 notched, 1 ripped)
- F: (8) 1 x 4 x 15 ½"
- G: (2) 1 x 4 x 25 ½"
- H: (2) 1 x 4 x 19 ½"
- Miter saw (or circular saw)
- Table saw
- Jig saw (or hand saw)
- Nail set