Proof that fun doesn’t have to be fancy. Not only is this simple sand box rugged and durable, it’s also easy and fun to build.
Notching the 4 x 4 posts for the side pieces and using 2 x 10 stock for corner braces, this box will handle all the rough and tumble play youngsters can dish out. Heavy-duty landscape fabric on the bottom allows water to drain out and keeps grass and weeds from creeping in.
Customize for any space by adjusting the dimensions of this plan to make a larger or smaller sand box. Remember to calculate how many yards of sand it will take to fill your box before you build it (inside box width x inside box width x depth of sand).
Before you get started, please read our info on safety, fasteners and building tips.
Download a Free
Sand Box Plan
TIME: 4 Hrs
- (1) 4 x 4 x 8' YellaWood® brand pressure treated pine
- (4) 2 x 10 x 8' YellaWood® brand pressure treated pine
- (4) 1 x 6 x 8' YellaWood® brand pressure treated pine
- ½" galvanized staples
- 3" deck screws
- Heavy-duty landscape fabric
- Waterproof wood glue
- Play sand
- YellaWood Protector® Stain and Sealer
- Miter saw or circular saw
- Table saw
- Staple gun
- 1/8 " drill bit
- Damp rag to wipe up excess glue
- A. (4) 3 ½ x 3 ½ x 7 ⅜"
- B. (4) 1 ½ x 9 x 68"
- C. (4) 1 ½ x 9¼ x 18"
- D. (4) ¾ x 5 ½ x 77"